Tuesday, July 10, 2012

important dates #5

On July 10, 2012 I added an additional political component to my concerns regarding the artificially generated stampedes.  I sent out 9 letters to the 7 elected officials that specifically represent my interests in the state of West Virginia. 

2 letters to my House of Delegates representatives
1 letter to my state senator
1 letter to my congressional representative
1 letter to the governor
4 letters to the United States Senators (addresses in both Washington DC and Charleston, WV)

Enclosed was content from 3 previous letters relating to my correspondence with West Virginia University President James P. Clements and Marshall University President Stephen J. Kopp.  Also enclosed was a response letter from the WVU Police Chief, Bob Roberts.

For the exact content, search this blog on "important dates, important dates #2, important dates #4."

I also had another conversation with Lou Marciani (Director for the National Center of Sports Safety and Management) on July 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm for 11 minutes.  He was quite gracious and appreciative.  He claimed I had made an impact raising awareness and given "us all a lot to think about."  We discussed how emergency evacuation protocol had been irreparably compromised and the inherent difficulty pertaining to  tackling the problem from a mitigation standpoint.  But when pressed to address the actual issue, he seemed disinterested.  When I spoke of the magnitude of the problem, he said, "There's only so much you can do.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over this."  Throughout the conversation, he was pleasant and conciliatory but I got the distinct impression he was trying to give me the "brush off."  I've been on the receiving end of this approach from others as well.  Although I appreciate him taking the time to call, I believe he timed the actual phone call to coincide with the end of the work day.

On July 8, I met with one of my elected officials and their spouse.  We discussed the artificially generated stampede for roughly one hour.  It was an insightful, back and forth discussion.  

As of today (July 10, 2012), I'm in possession of 30 letters from NCAA Division I university leadership.  There still has been no response from anyone affiliated with the National Football League or Nascar/Indy Racing.

No comments: